Saturday, July 16, 2005





Here is the great sock yarn dyeing party. My sister, my niece, and a friend from school all helped dye 8 skeins of KnitPicks merino wool yarn.

We did 4 skeins in the watermelon colorway from the book Yarns to Dye For, although I could not find the dye specified, so we used Rit. I tried to match the colors in the book, but the yarn turned out a great deal darker than that in the book. I learned that Rit, even when mixed with a lot of water, makes a very strong color.

We used KoolAid to dye 3 skeins of self striping yarn: I did yellows and greens with one stripe of dark red (Jamaica KA). The Mango KA made a great orangey yellow and the Arctic Apple made a light, almost minty green.

My niece did 7 colors that ended up looking like Starbursts. When the yarn is dry, I will post a picture of it.

The last one was pinks, purple, and reds. The Strawberry Starfruit makes a really nice rose pink.

The hardest part of the dyeing was wrapping the yarn in plastic wrap. Typical Texas Panhandle - we had a constant breeze that kept us cool but blew the plastic wrap.

All in all, it was a lot of fun and I can hardly wait to start knitting the socks. It was worth the time and effort. Tough for me to get through this because I went to a Harry Potter Midnight Sale, read the book - finished at 4:30 am, and then got up at 7:0o am to get going on the dyeing. But, I am already planning the next dyeing party!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You posted a comment on my knitters review topic of Garish Kool-Aid colors (just a little introduction). I also used the "Yarn to Dye For" book as a guide when I was dyeing my socks. I'm very interested to see how your pattern works for you.

I chose the zig zag colorway. If I can ever get the yarn where I want it, I'm going to start knitting a pair of socks.

I'll be watching your blog to see how the watermelon socks progress. Please post pictures as you go.

--Julia