Saturday, November 15, 2008

Knitting Can Heal

This is an insight for me; I know there are probably thousands who have already discovered this.

Being dumped is a devastating experience. I have been blessed to have family and friends who have been incredibly supportive - to the point that I have felt wrapped in a warm blanket. However, the reality is that this experience caused me to feel worthless. I was not able to knit because a) I saw no purpose in it; b) I couldn't concentrate; c) I didn't have the energy to pick up needles.

Then one of my daughter's coworkers asked her if I might knit her baby a hat. I had knitted a sweater for her baby when he was born. I am a sucker for baby stuff, and I had a pattern that seemed perfect. The mother loves the movie, Christmas Story, and wanted a hat like Ralphie's. I had a pattern called the Sherlock hat that has a front flap that buttons up and earflaps, so I tried it. I loved the way it turned out and so did the mother. (I hope to have pictures later.)

Then a colleague told me about her friend's son in Afghanistan and how cold it was getting. I had knitted helmet liners a couple of years ago, and I had gotten some yarn at the Gourmet Yarn in Oklahoma City - it must have been meant! So, now I am about 3/4 through with a helmet liner.

I had knitted sweaters for a friend's daughter's child, and had started one for her new baby but had put it aside. The friend mentioned that the two sweaters (they match) would make a good picture, so I pulled it out again. All I need to do is finish the sleeves and do the neck and front bands. So, I am working on that again.

It is really cold where I live this morning, so I pulled on a pair of socks - the ones I knitted while in Portland and Seattle. I found myself sitting and admiring them which is what led to this post. I realized that I have a lot to contribute to a lot of people. My husband may no longer want to be with me, but I have others that do. And I have talents and skills! And I'm not a bad person!

So, no more posts about depressing junk! I am moving on and moving back to knitting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been on my mind so I'm very glad to see your post. Knitting is so comforting to the knitter and the person who receives. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I've checked your blog at least once every week and am so glad to see you back. It;s amazing how knitting can heal the spirit. I don't know what people who don't knit do!

Anonymous said...

i think you are the best mother ever. and an amazing person.