Monday, May 07, 2007

My First Knitting Retreat


How exciting to finally get to go to a knitting retreat. You guys who have local yarn stores and who have knitting gatherings might not be able to understand how nice it is to be in a group of people with the same interests and skills, to be with people who know KnitPicks and Jo Sharp and Noro, to have someone understand when I say things like yarn over and felted.

A colleague and I drove 4 hours to Oklahoma City, shopped for awhile, and then drove east again to get to the conference center for the retreat. It was certainly worth the effort - what a wonderful group of people. We learned several new skills such as Magic Loop and tubular cast on, had some alpaca to play with and, best of all, made some new knitting friends. The setting was beautiful, the food was good, and we had a great time. I have one completed wrist warmer, about a third of a lace face cloth and many great memories


We even met another Texan - the star of the wrist warmers section - Dawn was the first to finish!

I also met someone I had known previously through blogs and Knitters Review. Blogland is great for finding new yarns and patterns - thanks Kay for giving me more to look at!


Thank you Margaret for putting this together - I'm sorry you weren't able to stay. Thanks Melissa and Nancy for all the help and encouragement and instruction. Thanks to Linda for a lot of information and advice. Thanks to Nina and Lillian and Anita for all the great book talk. To all the others whose names I can't quite remember - thanks for all the fun.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been checking for a report! I'm glad you had such a good time. I certainly wish we had more opportunities like this in our area.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the two of you came. I hope you get a knitting group started. It is so much fun to have like-minded people to meet and knit. Don't be a stranger and I hope you can come to a Knit-In sometime soon.

Linda said...

We enjoyed meeting you too. Hope to see you in the fall. Make sure to let us know next time you're passing through too - I bet we can set up a lunch or something.

LP

Marley said...

Jealous! Why isn't there such a thing as a makeup retreat?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you came. Was I supposed to email you some author names?? It was fun to meet you and your friend and Dawn (who I'm assuming is now your friend too!)